International Forum “Sustainable Development of Mountain Territories”
12-13 October 2023
Representatives of parliaments, executive authorities, local government of the CIS Member Nations and other states, world academia and international organizations will discuss issues of sustainable development of mountain territories, as well as ways to strengthen cooperation in the area.
At the plenary session, roundtables and panel discussions, in particular, it is supposed to consider the following questions: social and economic development of mountain territories (including legal aspects), preservation and popularization of mountain ethnic cultures, providing employment of local population, medical and biological features of human life, biodiversity conservation, hazardous natural and man-made processes, specificity of work of agricultural complex in mountain areas, etc.
A number of events held as a part of the Travel Hub “Commonwealth” will be devoted to mountain tourism in the CIS. The participants will be able to present their projects and solutions, as well as to discuss the prospects of development of mountain tourism and ski vacation, to propose new legislative initiatives on this topic.
The Forum program also includes:
- a founding meeting on the organization of the Eurasian alliance of mountain territories;
- an open meeting of the working group under the Commission of the Civic Chamber of the Russian Federation on Development of Agricultural Sector and Rural Areas to consider issues of legal regulation in the field of development and conservation of mountain territories in the Russian Federation;
- a joint meeting of the North Caucasus Scientific Cooperation, the Russian Geographical Society, and the Commission of the International Geographical Union on Mountain Studies.
Panel discussion “TRANSFORMATION OF MOUNTAIN REGIONS AT THE TURN OF THE MILLENNIUM. NEW CHALLENGES, EXPERIENCE, LESSONS, PROSPECTS”
Roundtable “SOCIO-ECONOMIC ISSUES OF SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT OF MOUNTAIN TERRITORIES”
- National mountain policy: state regulation and support of sustainable mountain development, implementation mechanisms (programmes and projects).
- Social security and improvement of the well-being of the mountain population.
- Demographical issues.
- The role of culture and traditions.
- Creating and increasing the importance of cultural mountain landscapes.
- Peculiarities of socio-political processes in mountain territories.
Roundtable “SPECIALLY PROTECTED NATURAL AREAS – GUARANTEES OF BIODIVERSITY CONVERSATION”
- Specially protected natural areas for the preservation of natural and cultural heritage and the development of mountain regions.
- Socio-economic interactions in specially protected mountain territories and their integration into the socio-economic context of mountain regions.
- Specially protected natural areas and local populations: from confrontation to partnership.
- Mountain specially protected natural areas as observatories for research and monitoring of global changes.
- International cooperation of specially protected mountain territories to solve environmental problems and strengthen humanitarian ties in the CIS
Roundtable “MOUNTAINS AND LAW”
- Sustainable development of mountain territories: what can the law do?
- Social guarantees for mountain dwellers: legal aspects of provision.
- Law and entrepreneurship in mountainous areas: how to keep a balance of benefits and restrictions.
- Attracting investments to mountain regions: legal conditions and legal reality.
- Construction and development of infrastructure in the mountains: does urban planning legislation take everything into account?
- Mountain tourism and safety: legal requirements.
- International law on the sustainable development of mountains.
- National legislation on the development of mountain territories: problems and potential of formation.
- Features of the state administration of mountainous territories: are there any?
Roundtable “SUBSOIL USE, MOUNTAINS AND RESOURCES”
- Mining issues. Reclamation and use of sites for recreational purposes.
- Correlation of traditional extensive and innovative types of environmental management.
- Features and problems of industrial environmental management.
- Optimization of the structure of environmental management in the mountains.
- Environmental management regulation based on state, market, and local mechanisms
Roundtable “SEISMIC SAFETY AND NATURAL DISASTERS”
- Environmental consequences of natural disasters (earthquakes, volcanic activity, avalanches, landslides, mudslides, etc.).
- Coordination and exchange of information in the field of monitoring of natural and anthropogenic hazards.
- Disaster risk reduction: world experience.
- Assessment of the risks of the consequences of economic activity for the environment
Roundtable “SCIENCE FOR MOUNTAINS”
- Mountain glaciers – indicators of climate change;
- Modern methods of studying the dynamics of mountain ecosystems and landscapes: remote sensing and Big Data;
- Scientific bases of development and rational use of natural resources of mountain territories;
- Interaction of scientific organizations in solving topical issues of sustainable development of mountain territories at the national and international levels;
- Experience in education and training in the field of sustainable development of mountain territories, montology programs.